September has always felt more like a beginning than at any other time of the year. Probably it stems from a lifetime of school terms beginning, either my own or those of the kids. However, it’s more than that. I’ve noticed that key moments in my life have often happened in September.
- September 1982, I met Danny at school
- September 1984 I met Marie and became best friends with her, her birthday was in September
- September of 1988 I met up with Danny again when he changed schools to the one I was attending
- September 1990 I fell pregnant with Josh
- September 1992 I met Greg
- September 1993 my first nephew was born
- September 1994 my sister got married
- September 1994 Mum married my stepdad
- September 1997 Alice was born
- September 1998 I found out I was pregnant with Katie
- September 2003 I met Tom
- September 2006 I found out I was pregnant with Annie
- September 2013 saw the end a stressful time and easier times began again. It was like a weight had been lifted.
- One year ago today, on 1st September 2013 I finally said yes to Phil’s marriage proposals, even though we called it off a few months later.
All of the major events and relationships in my life have their foundations in September in one way or another and so today I found myself getting a little sentimental over all of these key times in my life, the lessons I learnt, the joys they brought, the things I miss and then I found myself thinking ahead to what, if anything, this September may bring.
Naturally, I’m wondering about love. All of my romantic relationships have had some basis in September. Will this September hold the same? Sometime last year when I was doing some freewriting, when I was writing about love, I scribbled down September 15. I don’t know if that’s the 15th or if it’s September 2015, but yet again, September came up. Really, as much as the thought of love excites me, I could do with another year to myself to get my head together and to get the kids balanced with life’s changes, but it doesn’t stop me dreaming.
Of course, it could pan out like all of the gap years when nothing in particular happened and that’s ok too but whether anything major occurs or not, September, once again, feels like the beginning of my year and I’m excited to see how it unfolds.